A few days before my surgery, we had an informative meeting with friends Dave and Jane Lundin.
Dave and Jane have been south to the Bahamas 2 times, most recently last winter. They filled us in on lots of first hand experience concerning the ins and outs of the ICW, places to stock up, money issues, homeland security as well as a whole lot of other relevant first hand information that will be extremely useful to us on our trip. Thanks Dave and Jane.
In the meantime, Debbie loaded and stowed all our cruising essentials onto the boat. On Thursday evening, Sept 4, our delivery captain came to get the boat to sail her to St. Peters to wait for a weather window, ie, fair winds, and fix up a few miscellaneous unfinished chores that I was unable to complete because of the surgery. The radar wires at the mast need to be connected, the steaming and anchor light need attention, the dingy on the davits obscure the stern light, and the lazy jacks have to be attached to the new sail pack. Adrian, our delivery captain, kindly agreed to do the work for us before his planned embarking on Sunday. If everything goes well, he will sail from St. Peters straight to the Cape Cod Canal, then "jig" his way down the eastern seaboard to the Chesapeake Bay.
We plan to fly to either Richmond or Norfolk after Canadian Thanksgiving, rent a car and provision for our journey. We may do some side trips while were in the area, most notably Washington DC and other Historic sites in the Virginia / Maryland area. Hopefully will have a week or so to cruise the lower Chesapeake. We will start our journey down the ICW the end of October. Our insurance provider doesn't want us south of Norfolk Va before November 1st.
Deb and I traveled to St. Peter's today, Saturday Sept. 6th. Took a few more pictures and bid Adrian a fair sail to the Chesapeake. He will leave tomorrow as the winds will be fair, will travel over a thousand miles and will probably be in Deltaville Va. in ten days or less.